Thursday, December 13, 2012

In Jesus' Name


"At that time you won't need to ask me for anything.  I tell you the truth, you will ask the Father directly, and he will grant your request because you use my name.  You haven't done this before.  Ask, using my name, and you will 
receive, and you will have abundant joy."                   John 16:23,24



     I have trouble asking for things.  The reason is that I have learned through the years that when I ask people for something, they often say  'no.'   My priorities just aren't their priorities.  I have also learned, though, that when my priorities are God's priorities, he always says 'yes.'  

     There was a popular song when I was growing up.  The first line of the song was, "Oh, Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedez Benz?"
I have had my share of Mercedez Benz prayers through the years.  God, in his wisdom, turns these down.  But, when I pray in Jesus name, not saying the words like a magical formula; but, rather, praying for those things that I know that Jesus wants, God says 'YES!'

     Here's a thought:  discuss with God what you are going to pray about before you pray.  Your prayers may become a little more thoughtful and you will grow closer to God as you learn to pray in Jesus name.

No comments:

Post a Comment